A Brief History Of Durham City Golf Club

1887 - Durham City Golf Club founded

3rd December 1887 - Durham City Golf Club is inaugurated at the County Hotel, Old Elvet, Durham. The meeting attended by amongst others, baronet Sir Hedworth Williamson and local MP Thomas Milvain, established one of the oldest inland golf clubs in England. It was determined that a 6 hole golf course be constructed on university land at Pinkerknowle, on the southern outskirts of the ancient city.

1888 - Golf course opens at Pinkerknowle  

18th May 1888 -  18 golfers venture to play three rounds each of the 6 holes recently constructed. The event was heralded in the Newcastle Daily Journal thus 'local golf fever...has at last found an inland growth in the neighbourhood of the cathedral city of the Wear'

1889 - Club employs its first professional

May 1889 - the Club employed its first professional, David Brown.

1893 - Course extended to 9 holes  

24th May 1893 - following the employent of the Club's first greenkeeper, Mr Macdonald in 1892, it was decided to extend the Pinkerknowle layout to the full 9 holes. Membership now totalled 90, with annual subscriptions being one guinea per year.

1894 - Lady members invited for first time

February 1894 - the decision is taken to allow Ladies to join the Club 'under such regulations to be determined by the Committee.' The years that followed would see the Club expand until eventually it would outgrow itself and have to look for another home.

1927 - Plans announced for the Club to move homes 

October 1927 - a meeting is held at the Town Hall in Durham and is told by the Club Captain, Tom Colpitts, that the Hexham Club professional had reported favourably on the possiblities of a new site only 200 yards from Pinkerknowle. This was to become the Club's second home - Mount Oswald. 

1937 - Sir Henry Cotton & Alf Padgham play exhibition match 

June 1937 - Reigning Open Champion Alf Padgham and Henry Cotton play an exhibition match over the Mount Oswald layout. Cotton, later to be knighted for his services to golf, was to win the second of his three Open titles a matter of weeks later.

1939 - East Sussex Regiment occupy Clubhouse 

1939 - The Manor House, once the Rogerson family home and now used as the Clubhouse is occupied by the East Sussex Regiment who hold German prisoners of war captive there. Greens were fenced off and cattle grazed the course in an effort to keep the grass down as the war effort saw play suspended for a number of years. 

1966 - Ryder Cup stars play an exhibition match 

1966 - Ryder Cup stars Dai Rees, Dave Thomas and the 'voice of golf' Peter Alliss visit Durham City.

1969 - Club considers moving on again 

September 1969 - As the Club looks to secure its future, consideration is given to almagamtion with Brancepeth Castle GC. This proposal was eventually narrowly defeated following a vote at the AGM of March 1970.

1970 - New site inspected 

October 1970 - The Committee led by Chairman, Professor H.C. Baker, inspect farmland at Littleburn on the outskirts of the city. Purchase of the land after many years of leasing finally secured a permanent home for the Club. 

1974 - Littleburn opens

November 1974 - Durham City Golf Club's new home opens.

Course Status
Currently open
19.10.2017 07:20
With the following restrictions: Preferred Lies.
Book a Tee Time
Ready to book? Our booking system will make it easy for you.
Calendar
Loading the Calendar...
Weather
  • 2017-10-20
  • 2017-10-21
  • 2017-10-22
  • 2017-10-23
  • 2017-10-24
Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.